Get a minor account in few smooth and easy steps in less than 5 minutes
Get answers to common questions about Mbank UAE
What is minor account?
Accounts for minor children (under 18 years of age) are called minor accounts. Until the child turns 18, it is a custodial account owned by the child, but managed by the parent or guardian.
What is the age criteria for opening a minor account in Al Maryah Community Bank?
You can open a minor account for your children below the age of 18 years.
Is it mandatory to be Al Maryah Community Bank customer to open a minor account?
You do not need to be an existing Mbank UAE customer to open minor account. However first you need to register your information on the Mbank UAE application, as a father or legal guardian and proceed to open a minor account by registering your children’s information. Click here for minor account onboarding process steps
How to open a minor account using Al Maryah Community Bank application?
For existing customers, the father or the legal guardian can open a minor account via the Mbank UAE mobile app by choosing to open minor account from the home page, and then proceeding to register child information. The minor’s account segment shall be same as the father or the legal guardian’s account segment
For non-customers, the father or legal guardian can open the account for the minor without opening account for themselves, through following steps:
- Download the Mbank UAE app
- Choose “Open an account” and register your identity using UAE PASS or your Emirates ID.
- Choose “Minor account” from the list of accounts and provide relevant information to register the minor and open the account. Click here for minor account onboarding process steps
What are the required documents to open a minor account?
For existing customers:
- For UAE national: valid EID of the minor
- For expatriate: valid EID and valid passport with valid residence visa of the minor
- In case the minor’s father is not the legal guardian, then a court notarized guardianship letter is required
For new customers:
- Same documents required for minor along with the father or legal guardian’s EID (UAE/expat)
What is the minor account opening fees/charges?
There are no fees or charges to open a minor account. However, terms and conditions apply that relate to the segment of the account. (For account segments click here)
Will the minor have separate access to the Mbank UAE app?
No. Minors will not have access to the mobile application. Managing & monitoring the minor account is under the father/legal guardian ownership and accordingly, minor account details will be available under the credentials of their father/legal guardian.
Is debit card issued on minor’s accounts?
Yes, father/legal guardian can request for a debit card via the Mbank UAE mobile app. The debit card can be used for purchases and ATM cash withdrawal. Since the Mbank UAE debit card is numberless, the father/legal guardian should share the debit card details with his child for online purchases. The card number can be obtained from the cards section in the Mbank UAE mobile app, by clicking on the card image
What are the minor account closure fees?
Customer will be permitted to close the account without fees any time after 6 months of opening the account. If the request is less than 6 months, then a fee of AED 100 + 5% VAT is applicable
What is the minimum balance required to be maintained in the minor account?
The minimum balance requirement depends on the segment of the membership. There is no balance required for gold account holders, which is also a free for life account. However, minimum balances and other requirements vary for other type of accounts (For account segments click here) T&C apply
Are there pre-set debit card transactional limits. Is it adjustable and how?
Bank will automatically set transaction limits of AED 1,000 per day for point-of-sale and e-commerce transactions, and AED 200 per day for ATM withdrawals. Bank may increase transaction limit for ATM withdrawals depending on account segment. As the father or legal guardian, you can change these limits at any time via the “Manage Card” option in the cards section in the Mbank UAE app
Will the father or guardian still have access on the account once converted to major account?
No. When minor account converts to a major account, the adult will be able to operate the account himself, and his father or legal guardian will no longer have access to the account.
What is the maximum number of minor accounts you can open under the same major account?
You can open multiple minor accounts under a major account, with limit of one account per child.
Are chequebooks available for minor account?
No, cheque books are not available for minor accounts as this is saving account
How can minor account be converted to major account?
- The bank will notify the guardian (by SMS or email) 90 days and 30 days before the child attains the age of 18
- After attaining the age of 18, minor account will automatically convert to major account
- Post age of 18, the minor must register directly on the Mbank UAE app, and link the existing account.
- All debit cards tied to the minor account will be cancelled and new debit cards tied to the saving account of the major will be issued upon request